1. NBC doesn’t seem to mind that they’re mispronouncing “Pyeongchang”.
The Asian American Journalists Association says the South Korean city is pronounced “Pyeong-chAHng” . . . like the ‘ah’ sound you make at the doctor’s . . . but NBC is pronouncing it so that “chang” rhymes with SLANG. (Here’s video.)
And they’re doing it on purpose. They say they heard several pronunciations while they were preparing for the Games, and that’s the one they decided on.
2. A Canadian figure skater OVERCAME THE IMPOSSIBLE at the Olympics . . . dropping her phone into a non-flushed toilet. Yesterday, Meagan Duhamel and her partner Eric Radford won the bronze medal during the pairs free skate.
The GOOD NEWS is that they also pulled off the FIRST EVER clean throw quad salchow, which is pretty awesome.
The BAD NEWS is that Meagan needs a new phone. Before competing, she Tweeted, quote, “I’m heading to the rink to compete at the Olympics and I just dropped my phone into a non-flushed toilet bowl. That’s right. No better way to humble me before the biggest skate of my life. #Oopsie.”
3. Speaking of firsts, American figure skater Vincent Zhou made history . . . landing the first quad lutz ever in the Olympics. For what it’s worth, he’s the youngest member of Team USA. (Here’s video.)
4. Austrian snowboarder Markus Schairer was seriously injured in a crash yesterday during his run in a quarterfinal heat at the Winter Olympics. According to NBC, he was transported to a hospital where they found that he broke the fifth cervical vertebra in his neck.
5. Japanese snowboarder Yuto Totsuka was also in a horrific crash earlier this week. But he’s expected to be okay. According to reports, he’s back in Olympic village. He had a CT scan, and is dealing with hip pain, but he has no broken bones. Which, if you saw the crash, is pretty remarkable.
6. Golfer John Daly wished American Olympian John Daly good luck with a hilarious Tweet.
Golfer John Tweeted, quote, “Just want to make it clear, it’s not me sliding head first, but I probably can kill it with a belly flop!”
Olympic John competes in the skeleton event . . . and earlier this week, he joked that he might be able to out-drink golfer John . . . but golfer John doesn’t buy it. He Tweeted, quote, “These wagers don’t always turn out good!”
Originally posted on February 16th, 2018