1. One of the more surprising moments of the Winter Olympics came when Team USA’s men’s curling team came from behind to capture the Gold medal. It was such a shock that the fall-out wasn’t smooth.
For starters, they were handed the wrong medals. The ones they initially got said “WOMEN’S curling” on them.
Then, Delta denied them a flight upgrade. USACurling Tweeted at Delta, quote, “Our Olympic curling champions are flying home on Monday. Upgrades?!?” And Delta responded, quote, “Congratulations . . . while we don’t have any upgrades to offer, we look forward to seeing you on board. Thanks for flying with us!”
2. Of course, “The Simpsons” predicted Team USA’s curling win. (Just as they probably also could’ve also predicted them coming in second, third, or LAST. There’s really a “Simpsons” reference for EVERY outcome at this point.)
It came in a 2010 episode, when Homer and Marge formed a mixed curling team with Agnes and Seymour Skinner. They’re chosen to represent the U.S., and they head off to Vancouver where they eventually defeat Sweden for a shocking win.
3. Speaking of “Simpsons” predictions, a squirrel ran onto the course and was INCHES away from being run over by a snowboarder . . . and a “Simpsons” writer reminded the Internet that it’s like when a squirrel was struck by Homer and Mr. Burns’ “rocket house” in the snowy “Mountain of Madness” episode.
The episode wasn’t Olympics related, and that squirrel DID get hit on the slope . . . still it’s something.
4. A world-famous streaker named Mark Roberts ran out onto the ice at the Olympics after the speed skating medal ceremony, wearing nothing but a pink tutu and a little monkey pouch over his junk. He had “Peace + Love” written on his chest.
5. Mashable.com ranked the Winter Olympics ‘Google Doodles.’
6. Canadian athletes doing a politely Canadian thing: They sang Celine Dion’s “Titanic” song on the team bus.
7. A Canadian athlete NOT doing a politely Canadian thing: Skier David Duncan, his wife, and a trainer spent Friday night behind bars . . . accused of STEALING A CAR in South Korea.
Apparently, they saw a vehicle unattended with the engine running, and they decided to take it, because they didn’t have one and it was very cold outside. (???)
They were all DRUNK though . . . so that sort of explains it.
8. A Canadian athlete NOT doing a politely Canadian thing: Hockey player Jocelyne Larocque is apologizing for taking off her silver medal . . . right after getting it while she was still on the podium.
She says, quote, “In the moment, I was disappointed with the outcome of the game, and my emotions got the better of me.”
9. Earlier this month, the pilot for the Russian women’s bobsled team proudly showed off her “I Don’t Do Doping” sweatshirt. And now, she’s been caught doping. She tested positive for a banned heart medication that treats heart disease and improves athletes’ oxygen use. She has denied taking the drug.
10. U.S. women’s figure skater Mirai Nagasu is sorry for a bizarre interview she gave after struggling through a performance. She said, quote, “I feel really, really awful about the things I said. I feel bad that people think that I was throwing my teammates under the bus because I never wanted to come off that way.”
Among other things, she had said that she PUNTED the free-skate intentionally . . . so she could audition for “Dancing with the Stars”.
She said, quote, “I smiled in the middle of my program, which is very rare for me. I thought of this as my audition for ‘Dancing with the Stars’. I’d like to be on ‘Dancing with the Stars’ because I want to be a star.”
11. A 13-year-old guitar prodigy stole the show at the Olympic Closing Ceremony with some crazy guitar-shredding.
But before you get too excited, there’s talk that he wasn’t playing live, and was playing to a backing track . . . like Muse did back in 2012. But he IS an awesome guitar player in real life, and there are a ton of videos of him online.
Originally posted on February 26th, 2018